Next Chapter College Consulting offers a comprehensive array of services covering all aspects of the college planning, search, application, and decision-making process. Services range from the multi-year Comprehensive Consulting Package to focused consultations on specific topics. Please contact me for more details on each of the packages below. I welcome you to meet with me for a complimentary half-hour session to see if Next Chapter College Consulting’s services are right for you.
Freshman Year Consultation
Although college doesn't need to be top of mind at this point, early planning can help ensure that you are in the best possible position down the road. During freshman year, I will begin to learn about you and your academic and extracurricular interests and strengths, and discuss how you can best take advantage of your high school years. In order to do that, I will:
- Review your high school courses, academic standing, extracurricular involvement, interests, talents, and any summer activities to identify strengths as well as any potential gaps.
- Discuss course selection for sophomore year and develop an initial academic plan for junior and senior years based on your interests and goals.
- Provide recommendations for extracurricular involvement, explore opportunities for leadership, and discuss summer activities that will best support your interests and talents.
- Present an overview of standardized testing, review the testing sequence, and discuss testing options.
Comprehensive Consulting Package
While many students choose to begin working with a consultant during sophomore or junior year, this multi-year program can start as early as 8th grade to review courses for 9th grade and to discuss ways in which you can make your high school experience successful. Regardless of when you choose to start, this package covers the entire college process and includes unlimited personal consultations through meetings, phone, email, advanced two-way college admissions software, and Skype if needed. All consulting is customized according to your needs.
Some of what I will help you with is:
- Understanding your goals, strengths, needs, and priorities
- Addressing your family’s priorities and financial parameters
- Academic planning
- Standardized test planning including test selection and optimal timing
- Extracurricular and summer activities, including opportunities for leadership
- Career and major exploration
- Financial aid, including merit aid
- Development of a college list specifically suited to you, balanced between reach, target, and likely schools
- Refinement of college list based on your research and feedback
- Making the most of college visits
- Correspondence with admissions offices, faculty, and coaches
- Application strategy and plan (Early Decision, Early Action, Regular Decision, for example)
- Differentiating yourself from other applicants
- Essay brainstorming, development, and review, ensuring that your voice shines through in essays written by you that effectively communicate your unique strengths
- Guidance on filling out applications, and review and editing of completed applications
- Staying organized, motivated, and on schedule
- Portfolios and other supplemental materials
- Interview preparation
- Deferral or wait list guidance, if necessary
- Making the decision once final acceptances are received
For students and families with specific and less comprehensive needs, hourly consultation is available. Choose any topic related to the college admissions process other than college list development or essay and application assistance. Some examples are guidance on high school curriculum and standardized testing, career and major exploration, interview preparation, and college transfer.